Anycast DNS is an amazing routing solution that provides a large number of benefits. In case you are on the hunt for a great DNS service for your new website, or you need improvement in the performance of your domain, then for sure, you should check Anycast DNS! Let’s explain a little bit more about this amazing technology!
What is Anycast DNS?
Anycast DNS is a traffic routing method that delivers website content quickly by placing your IP address and DNS information on several nodes.
That way, multiple DNS servers hold the data for your domain name in various geographical locations, and when a DNS query appears, all of them can answer it. Typically, the nearest server responds and provides the needed information – IP address.
Anycast DNS also guarantees that if one server from the group fails and it is not able to serve its purpose, the rest will handle the load. That is why it is a fantastic solution for better and faster DNS resolution and for improving the loading time, waiting for a response, and more.
How does it work?
Anycast DNS directs DNS queries so that they receive the quickest answer. But how does it actually achieve that? Let’s find out!
- A group of different name servers informs that they hold an identical IP address for a domain name.
- A user types the domain name in its browser and triggers the DNS resolution process. The DNS query is initiated.
- The Recursive DNS server obtains the DNS request and defines the route by choosing the shortest path to the closest name server holding the needed IP address.
- The Recursive DNS gets back to the users with the obtained answer, and the user is able to explore the desired website.
Anycast DNS can be configured to route requests based on the following:
- Time to response
- The availability of the server
- Overcrowding of the route
How to get started with Anycast DNS?
Anycast DNS is offered as a service by DNS hosting providers, usually in exchange for a small monthly fee. You can get it, for instance, from a trusted provider like ClouDNS, as an included feature in the Premium DNS plans.
If you decide to invest in such a paid plan, you will receive additional beneficial features for advanced DNS management, including an increased number of DNS zones and DNS records. These services are highly beneficial for anyone that wants their domain to perform at the most optimal level. Typically, DNS hosting providers offer a free trial for you to test and decide for yourself if the service fits your domain’s needs.
Advantages of using Anycast DNS
Here are some of the main benefits that Anycast DNS provides:
- Quick response time: Thanks to the rapid routing, your visitors won’t wait long for a response. That guarantees that fewer potential clients will abandon your website due to prolonged waiting time.
- Enhanced uptime: Sometimes, one individual server can go down for some reason. Yet, the possibility of an entire group of servers failing at the same time is low. That is why the better availability of your website for users is a massive improvement. They can access it at any desired moment, and the uptime is guaranteed.
- Security boost: If one of your servers is under attack, the rest of the network of servers will continue to answer requests. Your website will remain available for visitors.
- Search engine ranking: Search engines consider different factors and rank your website based on them. One of these factors is the user experience which includes waiting for a response, loading time, etc.
As you now understand the concept of Anycast DNS, it is really an amazing technology. At first sight, this DNS service provides fast and reliable DNS resolution, yet that is not all. Additionally, it gives you better security, uptime, and much more!
Join us on social media!